The Toquaht Nation’s goal is to “bring people home to a thriving community.” There are currently just 10 residences in our community of Macoah, as we historically did not have the infrastructure (power, water, sewer) to support a large community. However, Macoah hooked up to the electrical grid in 2009, and built a water treatment facility in 2012 to provide clean drinking water to residents. We are currently designing a community sewage system, after which time we will be able to build more homes. We are also working to bring high speed internet to Macoah with the generous support of Pathways to Technology.
Now that we are under treaty, we have a board appointed to oversee all rental housing. It is called the Toquaht Housing Authority and is made up of 3 people who do not work for the Toquaht Government Administration. Currently, there are two rental houses at Macoah with more to come in the future.
- You must be a Toquaht citizen and be at least 19 years of age
- You must not have been convicted of a criminal offence within the past 10 years
- You must be in good financial standing with the Housing Authority and Toquaht Nation
If you are applying for social housing, the people in your household must have a combined income of less than:
- Applicant(s) with no dependents: $18,421
- Applicant(s) with one dependent: $22,420
- Applicant(s) with two dependents: $27,918
- Applicant(s) with three dependents: $34,829
- Applicant(s) with more than three dependents: $43,243
Click here to download the application form for rental housing. Submit it to the Toquaht Housing Authority at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with the required fees. Once you are on the housing list, the Housing Authority reviews your needs in comparison to what homes are available. You will stay on the list until suitable housing becomes available, so you will only need to apply once.